In June 2021 schools in many countries around the world remained closed, partially closed or had adapted to a blended model. Challenges remained for teacher training to support teachers in managing remote contexts, to support new approaches to student assessment and engagement, amongst others. British Council’s New Ways of teaching: Skills teachers need in order to teach in 2020-2021, showed that a need for more robust pedagogy for online teaching was clearly emerging.
British Council Argentina commissioned Nik Peachey and Wendy Arnold to reversion existing British Council materials to design a 12-hour MOOC (Massive open online course) to be delivered through the British Council’s EES LMS platform. The purpose of the course is to deliver online training to English teachers and teacher educators throughout the world, on remote teaching skills.
Alan Mackenzie of TransformELT was engaged to edit the course. This involved:
· Editing material targeted at audiences both teaching and learning English as a second language in a state school context in developing countries
· Quality assuring the content produced by the reversioners
· Ensuring relevance of the content produced to the current contexts and needs of educators
· Working jointly with the reversioners, builder and proofreader to guarantee course and unit structure and material design was in line with requirements and timescales of the project
· Responsible for checking the that storyboard and all the assets were in alignment and named according to the naming convention
· Ensuring all team communications flowed smoothly
· Ensuring consistency of design, style and tone, according to British Council guidelines The course will be available from https://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/training in March 2022.